This amazing motorcycle is a 3x2 - the two in-line rear wheels are both driven, the first by a chain from the gearbox and the second by a further chain on the opposite side and linking the two rear wheels. It dates from 1926 and is based on a Triumph 500 SV Model P Mk2. It was converted from 2x1 to 3x2 by the Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) in 1926 and is thought to be the only one of its kind still in existence. Apparently the offroad ability was excellent. The idea didn't catch on because the mobility of regular motorbikes improved [MAT].
The Triumph belongs to the Museum of Army Transport
and they regret that it is unlikely ever to be fully restored and
demonstrated because they have been unable to find 11" diameter
tyres to suit the rear.
4WD Vehicles A-Z
4WD Toys & Models
History of 4WDs