Land Rover : Series II (1958-1961)
The SII Land Rover brought "styling" to the marque: A "waist" was introduced level with the top of the wings, and the sides of the hard-tops were sloped in (actually the base was widened). Small panels were added along the lower edge of the bodywork to conceal the chassis. These are vulnerable to damage by rocks and are often removed, sometimes by force. The wheel-bases remained at SWB:88" and LWB:109", as for the late SI's.
Some early Land Rover SIIs had the 2L engine from the SI fitted, but the new 2286cc (nominally 2.25L) petrol engine was standard. The diesel continued at 2L until the SIIA model was introduced in 1961.
The SII 10 seat station wagon could not be introduced until 1959.
Anthony Maeder's 1960 SII
FireFly fire engine
was used on the Snowy Mountains Hydro Electric Scheme.
Interesting features include the PTO-driven pump, water tanks,
siren and a bell that kids - big or small - love.
The steering arm on Land-Rover SII's is attached to the top
of the steering swivel housing.
It was moved to the bottom with the SIIA model.
4WD Vehicles A-Z
4WD Toys & Models
History of 4WDs